Ngữ pháp tiếng anh luyện thi TOEIC – Unit 101: on/in time - at/in the end – Học Hay
A. on time và in time
1. on time = punctual, not late (đúng giờ (chính xác))
- The 11.45 train left on time. (= it left at 11.45)
- Please be on time. Don’t be late.
- The conference was well-organised. Everything began and finished on time.
2. in time (for something / to do something) = kịp lúc, đúng lúc
- Will you be home in time for dinner? (= soon enough for dinner)
- I sent Amy a birthday present. I hope it arrives in time. (= on or before her birthday)
- I’m in a hurry. I want to get home in time to watch the game on TV. (= soon enough to see the game)
- Trái nghĩa với in time là too late:
- I got home too late to watch the game on TV.
- Just in time = vừa kịp lúc
- We got to the station just in time for our train.
- A child ran into the road in front of the car, but I managed to stop just in time.
B. at the end và in the end
1. at the end (of something) = thời điểm mà cái gì đó kết thúc
at the end of the month/at the end of January/at the end of the game
at the end of the film/at the end of the course/at the end of the concert
- I’m going away at the end of January / at the end of the month.
- At the end of the concert, everyone applauded.
- The players shook hands at the end of the game.
- Trái nghĩa của at the end là at the beginning:
- I’m going away at the beginning of January. (not in the beginning)
2. in the end = finally: cuối cùng
- Ta dùng in the end khi nói về kết quả cuối cùng của một cái gì đó
- We had a lot of problems with our car. We sold it in the end. (= finally we sold it)
- He got more and more angry. In the end he just walked out of the room.
- Alan couldn’t decide where to go for his holidays. He didn’t go anywhere in the end.
- Trái nghĩa của in the end là at first (đầu tiên, lúc đầu)
- At first we didn’t get on very well, but in the end we became good friends.
Bài tập Ngữ pháp tiếng anh luyện thi TOEIC – Unit 101: on/in time - at/in the end – Học Hay
A Complete the sentences with on time or in time.
1 The bus is usually on time , but it was late this morning.
2 The film was supposed to start at 8.30, but it didn’t begin……………. .
3 The train service isn’t very good. The trains are rarely…………. .
4 We nearly missed our train. We got to the station just…………. .
5 We want to start the meeting…………. , so please don’t be late.
6 I’ve just washed this shirt. I want to wear it this evening, so I hope it will be dry…………. .
7 I almost forgot that it was Joe’s birthday. Fortunately I remembered…………. .
8 Why are you never ………….? You always keep everybody waiting.
9 It is hoped that the new stadium will be ready ………….for the tournament later this year.
B Read the situations and make sentences using just in time.
1 A child ran into the road in front of your car. You saw the child at the last moment.
(manage / stop) I managed to stop just in time.
2 You were walking home. Just after you got home, it started to rain very heavily.
(get / home) I………….
3 Your friend was going to sit on the chair you had just painted. You said, ‘Don’t sit on that chair!’, so
he didn’t. (stop / him) I………….
4 You and a friend went to the cinema. You were late, and you thought you would miss the beginning
of the film. But the film began just as you sat down in the cinema.
(get / cinema / beginning / film) We………….
C Complete the sentences using at the end + the following:
the course the game the interview the month the race
1 The players shook hands at the end of the game .
2 I get paid…………. .
3 The students had a party…………. .
4 Two of the runners collapsed …………..
5 I was surprised when I was offered the job…………. .
D Write sentences with in the end. Use the verb in brackets.
1 We had a lot of problems with our car. (sell) In the end we sold it.
2 Anna got more and more fed up with her job. (resign)
3 I tried to learn Japanese, but I found it too difficult. (give up)
4 We couldn’t decide whether to go to the party or not. (not / go)
E Put in at or in.
1 I’m going away at the end of the month.
2 It took Gary a long time to find work. ………….the end he got a job as a bus driver.
3 I couldn’t decide what to buy Amy for her birthday. I didn’t buy her anything ………….the end.
4 I’m going away…………. the end of this week.
5 We waited ages for a bus. ………….the end we had to get a taxi.
6 ………….the end of the lesson, all the students left the classroom.
7 We had a few problems at first, but ………….the end everything was OK.
8 You were in a difficult position. What did you do ………….the end?
9 The journey took a very long time, but we got there ………….the end.
10 Are you going away ………….the beginning of August or ………….the end?
2 on time
3 on time
4 in time
5 on time
6 in time
7 in time
8 on time
9 in time
2 I got home just in time.
3 I stopped him just in time.
4 We got to the cinema just in time for the beginning of the film. / … just in time to see the beginning of the film.
2 at the end of the month
3 at the end of the course
4 at the end of the race
5 at the end of the interview
2 In the end she resigned (from her job). or She resigned (from her job) in the end.
3 In the end I gave up (trying to learn Japanese / learning Japanese). or
I gave up (learning Japanese) in the end.
4 In the end we decided not to go (to the party). or In the end we didn’t go (to the party).
or We decided not to go (to the party) in the end.
or We didn’t go (to the party) in the end.
10 at … at
#hochay #hoctienganh #hocanhvanonline #luyenthitienganh #hocgioitienganh #apphoctienganh #webhoctienganh #detienganhonline #nguphaptienganh #luyenthitoeic #etsTOEIC