Ngữ pháp tiếng anh luyện thi TOEIC – Unit 33: I’d better....It’s time... – HocHay
A. It's time - It's high time
It’s time, It’s high time nghĩa là đã tới lúc.
- Cách dùng: diễn tả một việc nên được làm ngay.
- Cấu trúc it's high time, it's time:
1. Với To infinitive (to-V):
It’s time/ It’s high time + (for somebody) + to V + (something)
- Ví dụ: It’s time (for you) to go to sleep.
(Đã đến lúc đi ngủ rồi)
2. Với Past simple:
It’s time/ It’s high time + S + V2/-ed + …
Tuy động từ được chia ở quá khứ, nhưng ý nghĩa của câu vẫn ở hiện tại
- Ví dụ: It’s high time (that) I had to improve my English.
(Đã đến lúc tôi phải cải thiện vốn tiếng anh của mình)
- Ngoài ra, chúng ta có thể sử dụng it's high time/ It's about time để diễn tả ý phê phán hay phàn nàn.
- It's about time you worked harder. Look at your result, nothing's good.
(Đã tới lúc cô phải làm việc chăm chỉ hơn rồi. Nhìn kết quả của cô xem, chả có tí nào đạt hết)
B. I'd better
- I’d better do something = nên làm điều gì đó. Nếu không làm thì sẽ có vấn đề hoặc một hậu quả
- I have to meet Amy in ten minutes. I’d better go now or I’ll be late.
- ‘Shall I take an umbrella?’ ‘Yes, you’d better. It might rain.’
- We’d better stop for petrol soon. The tank is almost empty.
- Thể phủ định: I’d better not (= I had better not):
- A: That jacket looks good on you. Are you going to buy it?
- B: I’d better not. It’s very expensive.
You don’t look very well. You’d better not go out tonight.
- - I’d better = I had better, you’d better = you had better…
- I’d better phone Chris, hadn’t I?
- We had better go now.
- Mặc dù Had là dạng quá khứ nhưng chúng ta sử dụng had better cho mốc thời gian ở hiện tại hoặc tương lai.
- I’d better go now / tomorrow.
- We say ‘I’d better do’ (not to do).
- It might rain. We’d better take an umbrella. (not We’d better to take)
C. Had better và Should
- Had better tương tự như should nhưng chúng có sự khác biệt. Had better được dùng trong những trường hợp cụ thể, không phải chung chung. Should được dùng trong hầu hết các trường hợp khi đưa ra ý kiến hoặc lời khuyên
- It’s late. You’d better go. or You should go. (a specific situation)
- You’re always at home. You should go out more often. (in general – not ‘had better go’)
- Với Had better, sẽ luôn có hậu quả hoặc vấn đề nếu bạn không làm theo lời khuyên. Trong khi should chỉ có ý nghĩa là “điều đó tốt nếu như bạn làm vậy”
- It’s a great film. You should go and see it. (không có hậu quả nếu bạn không làm)
- The film starts at 8.30. You’d better go now or you’ll miss the beginning
Bài tập Ngữ pháp tiếng anh luyện thi TOEIC – Unit 33: I’d better....It’s time... – HocHay
A Read the situations and write sentences with ’d better or ’d better not. Choose a verb from:
check disturb go put reserve take
1 You’re going out for a walk with a friend. It looks as if it might rain.
You say: We’d better take an umbrella.
2 You and Kate plan to go to a restaurant tonight. It will be busy.
You say to Kate: We …………………….a table.
3 Oliver has just cut himself. It’s bleeding and he’ll need a plaster on it.
You say to him: You …………………….on it.
4 Rebecca doesn’t look well this morning – not well enough to go to work.
You say to her: …………………….this morning.
5 You’re going to the cinema, but you’re not sure what time the film starts.
You say: …………………….the film starts.
6 You need to talk to your boss, but she’s very busy right now.
You say to a colleague: …………………….right now.
B Is had better OK in these sentences? Change to should where necessary.
1 I have an appointment in ten minutes. I’d better go now or I’ll be late. OK
2 You’d better set your alarm. You have to get up early tomorrow.
3 I’m glad you came to see us. You’d better come more often.
4 She’ll be sad if we don’t invite her to the party, so we’d better invite her.
5 It’s nearly time to go out. I’d better get ready.
6 I think everybody had better learn a foreign language.
7 We’ve just missed the last bus. We’d better get a taxi.
C Complete the sentences. Choose from the box.
1 It might rain. We’d better take an umbrella.
2 Ben needs to know what happened. Somebody …………..better tell him.
3 We’d better …………..park the car here. The road is too narrow.
4 You …………..brush your teeth at least twice a day.
5 What are we going to do? It’s time …………..decide.
6 …………..better not be late. It’s an important meeting.
7 It’s time they …………..here. They promised they wouldn’t be late.
8 The window is open. You’d …………..close it before you go out.
9 We’d better leave as soon as possible, …………..we?
10 The government should …………..something about the problem.
11 It’s time the government …………..something about the problem.
12 It’s time something …………..done about the problem.
D Read the situations and write sentences with It’s time (somebody did something).
1 You’re at a friend’s house. You planned to go home at 11 o’clock. It’s already 11 o’clock now.
(I / go) It’s time I went home.
2 You haven’t had a holiday for a very long time. You need one now.
(I / holiday) It’s time………………………..
3 It’s 10 o’clock. It’s after the children’s bedtime. You think they should be in bed.
(children / bed)………………………..
4 You didn’t realise it was so late. You need to start cooking dinner.
(start / cook)……………………….. dinner.
5 Kate is always complaining about everything. You think she complains too much.
(stop / complaining) ………………………..about everything.
6 The company you work for has been badly managed for a long time. You think some changes should be made.
(changes / make) ………………………..in the way the company is run.
2 We’d better reserve a table.
3 You’d better put a plaster on it.
4 You’d better not go to work this morning.
5 I’d/We’d better check what time the film starts.
6 I’d better not disturb her right now.
3 You should come more often.
6 everybody should learn a foreign language
2 It’s time I had a holiday.
3 It’s time the children were in bed. / … went to bed.
4 It’s time I started cooking (the) dinner.
5 It’s time she/Kate stopped complaining about everything.
6 It’s time (some) changes were made
#hochay #hoctienganh #hocanhvanonline #luyenthitienganh #hocgioitienganh #apphoctienganh #webhoctienganh #detienganhonline #nguphaptienganh #luyenthitoeic #etsTOEIC