Ngữ pháp tiếng anh luyện thi TOEIC – Unit 58: Preposition + To/V-ing – Học Hay
A. afraid to (do) and afraid of (do)ing
- afraid to do something = không muốn làm điều gì đó vì nó nguy hiểm hoặc có thể để lại hậu quả xấu
- This part of town is dangerous. People are afraid to walk here at night.
(họ không đi bộ đến đây bởi vì nó nguy hiểm)
- James was afraid to tell his parents what had happened.
(anh ấy không nói với cha mẹ vì nghĩ rằng họ sẽ nổi giận)
- afraid of something happening = e ngại rằng điều gì đó xấu sẽ xảy ra
- The path was icy, so we walked very carefully. We were afraid of falling.
(họ sợ rằng mình sẽ ngã)
- I don’t like dogs. I’m always afraid of being bitten.
(tôi sợ rằng mình sẽ bị cắn)
- Bạn không muốn làm điều gì đó (afraid to do something) bởi vì bạn e ngại rằng điều gì đó xấu sẽ ra (afraid of something happening)
- I was afraid to go near the dog because I was afraid of being bitten.
B. interested in (do)ing and interested to (do)
- interested in doing something = nghĩ tới làm một việc gì đó, có hứng thú làm điều đó
- Let me know if you’re interested in joining the club. (not to join)
- I tried to sell my car, but nobody was interested in buying it. (not to buy)
- interested to hear/see/know something = điều gì đó hấp dẫn thú vị đối với tôi
- I was interested to hear that Tanya left her job.
(tôi nghe thấy điều đó và nó rất thú vị đối với tôi)
- I’ll ask Mike for his opinion. I would be interested to know what he thinks.
(= it would be interesting for me to know what he thinks)
- Cấu trúc này dùng tương tự cho surprised to … / glad to … etc.
- I was surprised to hear that Tanya left her job.
C. sorry for … and sorry to …
- sorry for (doing) để xin lỗi về một việc gì đó
- I’m sorry for shouting at you yesterday. (not sorry to shout) ~ I’m sorry I shouted at you yesterday.
- sorry to … để bày tỏ sự tiếc nuối về một điều gì đó
- I’m sorry to hear that Nicky lost her job.
- I’ve enjoyed my stay here. I’ll be sorry to leave.
- ‘I’m sorry to …’ cũng được dùng để xin lỗi ngay tại thời gian chúng ta làm điều gì đó.
- I’m sorry to bother you, but I need to ask you a question.
I want to (do), I’d like to (do)
I hope to (do)
I failed to (do)
I allowed them to (do)
I plan to (do)
I promised to (do)
I’m thinking of (do)ing
I dream of (do)ing
I succeeded in (do)ing
I prevented them from (do)ing
I’m looking forward to (do)ing
I insisted on (do)ing
Bài tập Ngữ pháp tiếng anh luyện thi TOEIC – Unit 58: Preposition + To/V-ing – Học Hay
A Write sentences using afraid to … or afraid of -ing.
1 The streets here are not safe at night.
(a lot of people / afraid / go / out) A lot of people are afraid to go out.
2 We walked very carefully along the icy path.
(we / afraid / fall) We were afraid of falling.
3 I don’t usually carry my passport with me.
(I / afraid / lose / it)
4 I thought she would be angry if I told her what had happened.
(I / afraid / tell / her)
5 We ran to the station.
(we / afraid / miss / our train)
6 In the middle of the film there was a very horrifying scene.
(we / afraid / look)
7 The vase was very valuable, so I held it carefully.
(I / afraid / drop / it)
8 If there’s anything you want to know, you can ask me.
(don’t / afraid / ask)
9 I was worried because we didn’t have much petrol.
(I / afraid / run out of petrol)
B Complete the sentences using interested in … or interested to … . Choose from these verbs:
buy hear know look start study
1 I’m trying to sell my car, but nobody is interested in buying it.
2 Nicola is …………………..her own business.
3 I saw Joe recently. You’ll be ………………that he’s getting married soon.
4 I didn’t enjoy school. I wasn’t……………… .
5 I went to a public meeting to discuss the plans for a new road. I was……………… how people felt about the project.
6 Paul doesn’t enjoy sightseeing. He’s not……………… at old buildings.
C Complete the sentences using sorry for … or sorry to … . Use the verb in brackets.
1 I’m sorry to bother you, but I need to ask you something. (bother)
2 We were……………… that you can’t come to the wedding. (hear)
3 I’m ………………bad things about you. I didn’t mean what I said. (say)
4 It’s a shame Alan is leaving the company. I’ll be………………him go. (see)
5 I’m ………………so much noise last night. (make)
D Complete the sentences in each group using the verb in brackets.
a We wanted to leave the building.
b We weren’t allowed the building.
c We were prevented the building.
a Sam and Chris hoped the problem.
b Sam failed the problem.
c Chris succeeded the problem.
a I’m thinking away next week.
b I’m planning away next week.
c I’d like away next week.
d I’m looking forward away next week.
a Helen wanted me lunch.
b Helen insisted me lunch.
c Helen promised me lunch.
d Helen wouldn’t dream me lunch.
3 I’m afraid of losing it.
4 I was afraid to tell her.
5 We were afraid of missing our train.
6 We were afraid to look.
7 I was afraid of dropping it.
8 Don’t be afraid to ask.
9 I was afraid of running out of petrol.
2 interested in starting
3 interested to know / interested to hear
4 interested in studying
5 interested to hear / interested to know (interested in hearing/knowing is also possible here)
6 interested in looking
2 sorry to hear
3 sorry for saying / sorry I said
4 sorry to see
5 sorry for making / sorry I made
1 b to leave
c from leaving
2 a to solve
b to solve
c in solving
3 a of going / about going
b to go (or on going)
c to go
d to going
4 a to buy
b on buying
c to buy
d of buying
#hochay #hoctienganh #hocanhvanonline #luyenthitienganh #hocgioitienganh #apphoctienganh #webhoctienganh #detienganhonline #nguphaptienganh #luyenthitoeic #etsTOEIC