Ngữ pháp tiếng anh luyện thi TOEIC – Unit 85: quite, pretty, rather & fairly – Học Hay
Quite và pretty có ý nghĩa gần giống nhau (mức độ < ‘very’, nhưng > ‘a little’)
- I’m surprised you haven’t heard of her. She’s quite famous. or She’s pretty famous.
(= less than ‘very famous’, but more than ‘a little famous’)
- Anna lives quite near me, so we see each other pretty often.
- Pretty thường được dùng trong văn nói hơn là văn viết
- Quite đừng trước mạo từ a/an
- We live in quite an old house. (not a quite old house)
- Quite (but not pretty) thường được dùng theo những cách sau đây:
quite a/an + noun (without an adjective):
- I didn’t expect to see them. It was quite a surprise. (= quite a big surprise)
quite a lot (of …):
- There were quite a lot of guests at the wedding.
quite + verb, nhất là like và enjoy:
- I quite like tennis, but it’s not my favourite sport.
- Rather tương đương với quite và pretty. Rather thường được dùng với ý nghĩa tiêu cực (điều mà chúng ta nghĩ là không tốt)
- The weather isn’t so good. It’s rather cloudy.
- Paul is rather shy. He doesn’t talk very much.
- Khi rather được dùng cho ý nghĩa tích cực (good/nice etc.), nó có nghĩa là không bình thường ‘unusually’ hoặc bất ngờ ‘surprisingly’:
- These oranges are rather good. Where did you get them?
- Fairly mang mức độ nhẹ hơn quite/rather/pretty. Nếu ta nói một điều gì đó fairly good, thì có nghĩa là nó không tốt lắm, và chúng ta có thể làm nó tốt hơn.
- My room is fairly big, but I’d prefer a bigger one.
- We see each other fairly often, but not as often as we used to.
- Quite còn có nghĩa là hoàn toàn ‘completely’.
- ‘Are you sure?’ ‘Yes, quite sure.’ (= completely sure)
- Quite có nghĩa là ‘completely’ với một số tính từ, đặc biệt là:
sure /right /true /clear/ different/ incredible /amazing
certain/ wrong /safe/ obvious /unnecessary/ extraordinary /impossible
- She was quite different from what I expected. (= completely different)
- Everything they said was quite true. (= completely true)
- Quite (= completely) được dùng với một số động từ
- I quite agree with you. (= I completely agree)
- not quite = not completely:
- I don’t quite understand what you mean.
- ‘Are you ready yet?’ ‘Not quite.’ (= not completely)
- So sánh ý nghĩa của từ quite
- The story is quite interesting. (= less than ‘very interesting’)
- The story is quite true. (= completely true)
Bài tập Ngữ pháp tiếng anh luyện thi TOEIC – Unit 85: quite, pretty, rather & fairly – Học Hay
A Complete the sentences using quite … . Choose from:
famous hungry late noisy often old surprised
1 I’m surprised you haven’t heard of her. She’s quite famous .
2 I’m…………. . Is there anything to eat?
3 We go to the cinema ……….– maybe once a month.
4 We live near a very busy road, so it’s often………. .
5 I didn’t expect Lisa to contact me. I was………. when she phoned.
6 I went to bed ……….last night, so I’m a bit tired this morning.
7 I don’t know exactly when this house was built, but it’s………. .
B Put the words in the right order to complete the sentences.
1 The weather was better than we had expected.
It was quite a nice day (a / nice / quite / day).
2 Tom likes to sing.
He has ………. (voice / quite / good / a).
3 The bus stop wasn’t near the hotel.
We had to walk ………. (quite / way / a / long).
4 It’s not so warm today.
There’s ………. (a / wind / cold / pretty).
5 The roads were busy.
There was ………. (lot / traffic / a / of / quite).
6 I’m tired.
I’ve had ………. (pretty / day / a / busy).
7 Sarah hasn’t been working here long.
She ………. (fairly / started / recently).
C Use your own ideas to complete these sentences. Use rather + adjective.
1 The weather isn’t so good. It’s rather cloudy .
2 I enjoyed the film, but it was………. .
3 Chris went away without telling anybody, which was………. .
4 Lucy doesn’t like having to wait. Sometimes she’s ………..
5 They have some lovely things in this shop, but it’s………. .
D What does quite mean in these sentences? Tick (X) the right meaning.
more than ‘a little’, less than ‘very’ (Section A)
1 It’s quite cold. You need a coat.
2 ‘Are you sure?’ ‘Yes, quite sure.’
3 Anna’s English is quite good.
4 I couldn’t believe it. It was quite incredible.
5 My bedroom is quite big.
6 I’m quite tired. I think I’ll go to bed.
7 I quite agree with you.
E Complete these sentences using quite … . Choose from:
different impossible right safe sure true
1 I didn’t believe her at first, but in fact what she said was quite true .
2 You won’t fall. The ladder is………. .
3 I’m afraid I can’t do what you ask. It’s………. .
4 I completely agree with you. You are………. .
5 You can’t compare the two things. They are………. .
6 I think I saw them go out, but I’m not………. .
2 quite hungry
3 quite often
4 quite noisy
5 quite surprised
6 quite late
7 quite old
2 quite a good voice
3 quite a long way
4 a pretty cold wind
5 quite a lot of traffic
6 a pretty busy day
7 started fairly recently
2 rather long
3 rather strange
4 rather impatient
5 rather expensive
3 more than a little …
5 more than a little …
6 more than a little …
2 quite safe
3 quite impossible
4 quite right
5 quite different
6 quite sure
#hochay #hoctienganh #hocanhvanonline #luyenthitienganh #hocgioitienganh #apphoctienganh #webhoctienganh #detienganhonline #nguphaptienganh #luyenthitoeic #etsTOEIC