Ngữ pháp tiếng anh luyện thi TOEIC – Unit 96: like & as – Học Hay
- Like = similar to, the same as
- What a beautiful house! It’s like a palace. (not as a palace)
- Be careful! The floor has been polished. It’s like walking on ice. (not as walking)
- It’s raining again. I hate weather like this. (not as this)
- ‘What’s that noise?’ ‘It sounds like a baby crying.’ (not as a baby crying)
- Trong những ví dụ trên, like là giới từ, theo sau nó sẽ là danh từ/đại từ/V-ing
- Like còn có nghĩa là ví dụ, như là = such as:
- I enjoy water sports, like surfing, scuba diving and water-skiing. or
- I enjoy water sports, such as surfing …
- As = in the same way as, in the same condition as.
- As + subject (S) + verb (V):
- I didn’t move anything. I left everything as it was.
- You should have done it as I showed you.
- Like cũng được dùng theo cấu trúc tương tự (+ subject + verb):
- I left everything like it was.
- As và like
- You should have done it as I showed you. or … like I showed you.
- but You should have done it like this. (not as this)
- Ta thường dùng as usual / as always/the same as
- You’re late as usual.
- As always, Nick was the first to complain.
- Your phone is the same as mine. (not the same like)
- As (+ subject + verb) đôi lúc còn mang ý nghĩa khác, ví dụ như sau động từ “do”
- You can do as you like. (= do what you like)
- They did as they promised. (= They did what they promised.)
- Ta thường dùng as you know / as I said / as she expected / as I thought etc. :
- As you know, it’s Emma’s birthday next week. (= you know this already)
- Andy failed his driving test, as he expected. (= he expected this before)
- Like thường không được dùng trong cách nói trên, trừ trường hợp like I said
- As I said yesterday, I’m sure we can solve the problem. or Like I said yesterday …
- As cũng có thể đóng vai trò là giới từ (as + noun), nhưng ý nghĩa của nó khác với like
As a taxi driver, I spend most of my working life in a car.
(I am a taxi driver, it’s my job.)
Everyone in the family wants me to drive them to places. I’m like a taxi driver.
(I’m not a taxi driver, but I’m like one.)
- As (giới từ) = in the position of, in the form of etc. (với tư cách là, trong vị trí là)
- Many years ago I worked as a photographer. (I was a photographer)
- Many words, for example ‘work’ and ‘rain’, can be used as verbs or nouns.
- London is fine as a place to visit, but I wouldn’t like to live there.
- The news of the tragedy came as a great shock.
Bài tập Ngữ pháp tiếng anh luyện thi TOEIC – Unit 96: like & as – Học Hay
A In some of these sentences, you need like (not as). Correct the sentences where necessary. Write ‘OK’ if the sentence is correct.
1 It’s raining again. I hate weather as this. => I hate weather like this.
2 You should have done it as I showed you. => OK
3 Do you think James looks as his father?
4 He gets on my nerves. I can’t stand people as him.
5 Why didn’t you do it as I told you to do it?
6 As her mother, Katherine has a very good voice.
7 You never listen. Talking to you is as talking to the wall.
8 I prefer the room as it was, before we decorated it.
9 I’ll phone you tomorrow as usual, OK?
10 She’s a very good swimmer. She swims as a fish.
B Which goes with which?
1 I won’t be able to come to the party.
2 I like Tom’s idea.
3 I’m fed up with my job.
4 You drive too fast.
5 You don’t have to take my advice.
6 I couldn’t get a seat on the train.
a It was full, as I expected.
b As I’ve told you before, it’s boring.
c As you know, I’ll be away.
d You can do as you like.
e Let’s do as he suggests.
f You should take more care, as I keep telling you.
C Complete the sentences using like or as + the following:
a beginner blocks of ice a palace a birthday present
a child a theatre winter a tour guide
1 This house is beautiful. It’s like a palace .
2 My feet are really cold. They’re…………….. .
3 I’ve been playing tennis for years, but I still play…………. .
4 Marion once had a part-time job…………. .
5 I wonder what that building is. It looks…………. .
6 My brother gave me this watch ………….a long time ago.
7 It’s very cold for the middle of summer. It’s…………. .
8 He’s 22 years old, but he sometimes behaves…………. .
D Put in like or as. Sometimes either word is possible.
1 We heard a noise like a baby crying.
2 I wish I had a car…………. yours.
3 Hannah has been working ………….a waitress for the last two months.
4 We saw Kevin last night. He was very cheerful, ………….always.
5 You waste a lot of time doing things ………….sitting in cafes all day.
6 ………….you can imagine, we were very tired after such a long journey.
7 Tom showed me some photos of the city ………….it was thirty years ago.
8 My neighbour’s house is full of interesting things. It’s ………….a museum.
9 In some countries in Asia, ………….Japan, Indonesia and Thailand, traffic drives on the left.
10 The weather hasn’t changed. It’s the same ………….yesterday.
11 You’re different from the other people I know. I don’t know anyone else…………. you.
12 The news that they are getting married came ………….a complete surprise to me.
13 This tea is awful. It tastes…………. water.
14 Suddenly there was a terrible noise. It was ………….a bomb exploding.
15 Right now I’m working in a shop. It’s not great, but it’s OK…………. a temporary job.
16 Brian is a student, ………….most of his friends.
3 … like his father
4 … people like him
6 Like her mother …
7 … like talking to the wall
10 like a fish
2 like blocks of ice
3 like a beginner
4 as a tour guide
5 like a theatre
6 as a birthday present
7 like winter
8 like a child
9 like or such as
#hochay #hoctienganh #hocanhvanonline #luyenthitienganh #hocgioitienganh #apphoctienganh #webhoctienganh #detienganhonline #nguphaptienganh #luyenthitoeic #etsTOEIC