Video bài nghe Market Leader Upper Intermediate – Unit 4: Success – Tiếng anh thương mại – HocHay
Cùng HocHay học tiếng Anh Market Leader Upper Intermediate – Tiếng anh thương mại các bạn nhé!
Market Leader Upper Intermediate – Unit 4: Success - Listening
A. Isis Innovation is a technology development company owned by the University of Oxford. Listen to Tom Hockaday, its Managing Director, talking about the essential qualities of a successful business and complete the gaps in these two extracts.
I think that the absolute essence of a business, or a ............ (1) business, is one that manages to ............ (2) and ............ (3) something, whether that is a ............ (4) or a ............ (5), but manages to ............ (6) it for more than it ............ (7) to ............ (8) it.
... we are investing in the ............ (9) to take it through various stages of development, so that we can demonstrate it has ........................ (10), so that we might be able to attract more rounds of ........................ (11) investment or finance from other sources.
10. increasing value
11. venture capital
B. Listen to the second part of the interview and summarise in a short paragraph what Tom says about Natural Motion - the type of company it is, what it does and the reasons for its success.
Natural Motion was set up in 2002 and its workforce has passion, vision and clarity. It has gone on to be a very successful software animation company, whose software tools are used in the film industry and in the computer game industry, to help make software characters look more realistic in those formats.
Those involved have worked together from their early vision for what this company might be and have seen that being delivered with passion and enthusiasm. There have been some challenges along the way, but the team have taken forward their vision with impressive clarity.
C. Listen to the final part of the interview and answer these questions.
1. Which types of business does Tom expect to succeed in the near future?
2. Which four examples does he give?
1. environmental technologies, low-carbon technologies and alternative-energy technologies
2. a smart-metering technology company, a project for tidal energy, a project for wind energy, a project for lightweight electric motors
Vocabulary Market Leader Upper Intermediate – Unit 4: Success – Tiếng anh thương mại – HocHay
A. Read this news report and identify nine common prefixes.
renamed, overconfidence, outperform, co-founder, underestimated, ultramodern, misinformed, ex-business, devalued
B. Match the prefixes in Exercise A to these meanings.
1. too much
2. better / more than
8. too little
C. Cross out the word in each group that does not follow the prefix in bold.
1. under perform / rate /charge / profit
2. co producer / worker / boss / author
3. re launch / engineer / locate / decide
4. over spend / lose / estimate / supply
5. mis manage / judge / look / calculate
6. out win / produce / bid / class
7. ultra efficient / cautious / modern / big
8. ex boss / director / employee / staff
9. de merge / grow / nationalise / regulate
D. Complete these sentences with words from Exercise C in the correct form.
1. Several sales staff ………………… last year and didn't meet their targets.
2. Smith and Turner were the two ............ of the report.
3. We will ............ our product as soon as we have finished the modifications.
4. Sales were very disappointing. We ............ the number of people who would buy our product in Asia.
5. Because the company has been ............ for years, we are close to bankruptcy.
6. It was an expensive acquisition. They had to ............ their rivals to take over the company.
7. Our ............ factory has state-of-the-art machinery.
8. My ............ was impossible to work with, so I left the company.
9. There is much more competition in ............ financial markets.
Language Review Market Leader Upper Intermediate – Unit 4: Success – Tiếng anh thương mại – HocHay
A. Complete the rules with the words present simple, present continuous, present perfect, past perfect or past simple.
1. We use the ............ to describe actions and situations which are generally true. Carlos Slim is worth about $67bn.
2. We use the ............ to describe completed actions or events which took place at a particular time or over a period of time in the past. Slim bought Telmex in 1990.
3. We use the ............ to describe current or temporary situations. Petrol is getting more expensive by the week. At the moment, Slim is writing a book about his family.
4. We use the ............ to describe life experiences, the present results of past actions or to announce news. The company has done well recently. In recent years, Slim has devolved power to his family.
5. We use the ............ to describe an action which is completed before a time in the past. The office had closed by the time we got there.
1. present simple
2. past simple
3. present continuous
4. present perfect past perfect
B. Label the tenses in these sentences based on the article on page 39 and say why those tenses are used.
1. In recent years, Slim has begun to stretch his tentacles north.
2. Aged 11, he invested in government saving bonds.
3. He remains frugal in his tastes.
4. By 15, he had bought a very small shareholding in Banco Nacional de Mexico.
5. Slim is currently looking at investing in distressed assets.
1. Present perfect: announcing news
2. Past simple: completed action in the past
3. Present simple: situation which is generally true
4 Past perfect: action completed before a time in the past
5. Present continuous: describing current situation
C. Write an article about Apple for a business magazine. Use these notes, putting the verbs in brackets into appropriate tenses.
• (reinvent) the personal computer with the Macintosh in 1980s
• (have) highest brand loyalty of any computer manufacturer
• (operate) more than 250 retail stores
• (have) informal culture
• (start) in Cupertino, California, April 1 , 1976
• October 23, 2001: (introduce) the iPod digital music player
• Since it was formed 1976, (employ) over 75,000 people worldwide
• Recently (rank) first as most admired company overall in Fortune survey
• People in survey by CoolBrands recently (vote) the iPhone as world's coolest brand
• September 28, 2009 downloads from App Store (surpass) 2 billion
WHAT IT IS DOING NOW
• Currently (experience) the greatest expansion in its history
• Now (focus) on its software more than ever
• At time of writing, (offer) students a free iPod Touch with the purchase of a MacBook
#hochay #hoctienganh #hocanhvanonline #luyenthitienganh #hocgioitienganh #apphoctienganh #webhoctienganh #detienganhonline #nguphaptienganh #marketleader #marketleaderpreintermediate #tienganhthuongmai